blank
blank

Compassion

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Get Real with God ~ Silly Putty


I recently received The Read And Share DVD Bible Volume 1 for a review. In the first story (the Story of Creation) it has a wonderful visual of God forming man. The image is of a big hand forming something like silly putty into a cute little man. It was precious to watch, but also got me thinking.

When I was a kid I would roll my silly putty into balls and bounce it or shape it into a silly face. My favorite thing to do with Silly Putty was rubbing it on newspaper comics and watching Ziggy, Garfield, and Melvin transfer onto the rubbery clay.

The Bible tells us in Isaiah 64:8 (NKJV) “But now, O Lord, You are our Father; We are the clay, and You our potter; And all we are the work of your hand.”

In Isaiah 29:16 (NKJV) Isaiah cautions the people saying “ Surely you have things turned around! Shall the potter be esteemed as the clay; For shall the thing made say of him who made it, “He did not make me”? Or shall the thing formed say of him who formed it “He has no understanding?

The last time we played with Silly Putty in my house was on Easter last year. We bought each of the kids their own little egg of it for their Easter baskets. I was greatly disappointed. I pulled out the newspaper eager to share my “trick” with them and copy the funny pages. No matter how hard or soft I pressed I could not get an image to transfer. Maybe it was the special pastel coloring or maybe the formula has changed over the years, either way my kids weren’t all that impressed by my failed trick.

This reminds me of people today. When creation took place man was formed by God, but he also reflected God’s image. The ideas and traits of God where printed into man’s shape and design, just like my old Silly putty over the funnies. Like today’s version, over time people have copied Him less and less. We are still created by Him, but our look and behavior don’t always resemble Him our lives appear empty.

I’ve never been brave (or stupid) enough to claim that God didn’t make me or claim that I didn’t need Him. I have, however, been guilty of that second part of Isaiah 29:16 and doubted that God understood me or my needs. Have you ever felt that way? Ever wondered if God really “got” what you were going through?

In these times, we need to be mindful of the fact that He shaped and formed us. He knows our weak points and the areas where we are strong. He knows our needs better than we ever could. He knows who we are and He wants to engrave His Word on our hearts so we can be the real deal, not imposter clay that lacks His impression, but true and marked by His love.

Lets all work hard in all we do to copy our maker and teach our children to do the same.

No comments: