blank
blank

Compassion

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Now I Know My ABC’s ~ Oo is for Owl

Goodnightowl
Summary: Tired owl keeps getting woken up from his sleep by other animals. Will he ever get some rest? A cute cumulative story for young ones with a funny ending.
Letter Activities:
letterosensorytub
One of the first items I thought of when thinking about the Letter O was Cheerios! I poured about a half of box (use coupons to purchase and it is really cheap) into a plastic tub for some sensory box fun. I put various letter O’s, some old O puzzle pieces, spoons, and bowls.
letterosensorytub2
My tot spent quite a bit of time playing with this tub. You can see how hard she is concentrating on the pouring Cheerios into the bowl. She also ate quite a few too! :)
leapfrogO
We also pulled out our Leap Frog Fridge Phonics. My tot hadn’t played with it in a very long time so it was also a perfect way to review some of our past letters.
Oohandwritingweb
For our owl poem/handwriting page, I had my daughter finger-trace the letters. Then she traced some of them with a crayon.
Crafts:
owlcoloring2
Next my tot and preschooler spent some time coloring an owl. While coloring we talked about what happened in the book.

owlcraft2
owlcraft
Then the girls used some of the Cheerios from the sensory box and glued them onto the letter O.


Earlier this year, Jodi wrote about what her kids did for their unit on Owl Babies. They made these cool crafts (pictured above) which were on my list to do. She also as some other owl resources listed too.

And here’s another cute owl letter activity: Owl alphabet craft
nocturnalanimalsheet
Since our book was about owls, we were able to talk about nocturnal and diurnal animals again.
Downloads:
Oohandwritingweb owlcoloring copy
You can download these Letter Oo printables on HS Printables ABC index page.
Other ABC Resources
ABC Printables from Homeschool Creations
Letter of the Week Curriculum from COAH
ABC Flashcards and More from 1+1+1=1
ABC Letter Crafts
Songs for Saplings ABC Verses
image

1 comment:

Brintgal said...

Thank you so much!  Printing now for my kids this morning!